Re: tetraploid

Jeff writes...

>Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you wrote, but isn't (48 chr. tall X I.
>pumila) the classic cross to produce an SDB (rather than an IB) and the
>conventional cross for an IB (SDB X 48 chr. tall or BB), which therefore
>makes LADY EMMA (and not her pod parent) a conventional IB by ancestry?

What I was shooting for was to say that LADY EMMA is, from inspection of parental classes, a conventional cross IB and the uncertanity of MTB/IB classification for her occurs, legitimately, from at least a couple of background sources. TWICE BLESSED (D. Dennis 66) pushes the SDB envelope as to height. AUTUMN ORANGELITE is on the extreme other end of the spectrum, an exceptionally small, gracile Border. I have all the parent/gparent cultivars behind LADY EMMA and I am trying for the interesting ggp stock. EVELYN PULLAR (Pullar 36) is the most unusual/controversial cultivar among these and I have bombed on getting her so far.

IBs and MTBs are both becoming a grab bag of very diverse backgrounds, and LADY EMMA was one of the early cultivars that 'pushed the envelope' of the conventional formula for defining class.

Mike, mlowe@worldiris.com -- http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A