Re: HYB: daylength vs temperature & bloom initiation

From: "David G. Holm" <sherlock@amigo.net>

On 5 Apr 99, at 20:26, Donald Eaves wrote:

> It
> seemed that no luck had been obtained from tranplants, but that
> some success occurred from those grown from seeds.  I've had
> this occur with other plants.  So I guess I'm wondering if certain
> genetics may be present which adapt to the growing environment
> and they develop environmental memory from the beginning which
> enhances that heritable trait.  Obviously, not every seed would
> have the correct genetic makeup, but it seems those that do might
> develop the environmental memory early.  Ergo success where
> transplants fail.  Am I way off the mark?  Also, I was wondering if
> the seeds themselve might contain environmental memory.  Thus
> seeds sown which came from a totally different environment might
> not do as well as those sown from locally successful plants.  Just
> wondering here.  It would be a useful trait if true.

Donald:

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Other things to attend to.  I would
suggest that the PCNs do not transplant well just because they do not like
to be disturbed.  There could be some differences in seed based on where
they were grown.  If the seeds had the same origin (parents) and different
environments there may be small differences but I doubt there would be
major differences.

Dave

Dave Holm
Professor of Horticulture (Potato Breeding)
Colorado State University
sherlock@amigo.net

Has ONElist changed your life?
http://www.ONElist.com
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!