Re: MED: MTB - Blue Chip Stock

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 4/17/1999 12:44:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
DWiris@aol.com writes:

<<
 PEACH SPOT (G. Shoop 73)  TB 36 in.  Sdlg. 68-30-1: (Snow Peach X sib)

 SNOW PEACH (G. Shoop 71)  TB 36 in.  Sdlg. 66-20-2: (Latin Lover X 64-16:
 (Wine and Roses x (Whole Cloth x pink amoena sdlg.)))

 LATIN LOVER (G. Shoop 69) TB 36 in.  Sdlg. 64-16: ((Inv. pink amoena sdlgs.
 Whole Cloth) X Wine and Roses)

 WINE AND ROSES (D. Hall 63)  TB 35 in.  From two sdlgs.

 WHOLE CLOTH (P. Cook 58)  TB 36 in. Sdlg. 12555: (Cahokia X 11253: (Blue
 Rhythm x ((blue sdlg. x Progenitor) x (Distance x blue sdlg.))))

 PROGENITOR (P. Cook R. 51)  IB 15 in.  Light yellow and light violet
bicolor.
  Sdlg. 1346: (Yellow I. reichenbachii X Shining Waters)

 This should give you some background.

 Dorothy Willott

This explains--to an extent--some of the interesting things I got with PEACH
SPOT back in the mid-80's.  I used it by happenstance.  I bought it because
my husband (at the time) happened to like the picture in the catalog.  I let
him and the children pick out a couple of irises each when I made my first
big order in hopes that they would become involved too, or, at the very
least, not complain too much about my involvement.  (I grew up in a time and
area of the country when spending money on flowers was considered indulgent.
You either traded or did without.)

In 1986, when I decided--a week into bloom season--to take the next step and
make some crosses, I had just moved my entire iris garden (60 or so) in
clumps to the new garden (in the snow).  I crossed what was open.  Peach Spot
had several stalks and was willing.  (It didn't get up and run out of the
yard!)

In the years since, the cross that has stayed in my mind the most was the
first year cross of HIGHLAND CHIEF X PEACH SPOT.  It would take half a sheet
of paper to describe the different colors and patterns I got from this cross.
 I made the reverse cross but it wasn't nearly as interesting, giving pale,
washed out purple amoenas with only four buds.

I brought a rose colored seedling from PEACH SPOT X VANITY with me.  Humm.
Let's see.  What type of red plicata do I have!!??  Well, there's this
seedling with an eight inch stalk (now) that comes from EARL OF ESSEX X HOT
STREAK.  I've not seen it bloom.  Probably will be BB height.  ???????  Yep.
If it cooperates.

The real question is:  where do I plant them?  Oh-Well!  The selective
process happens all along the line.

Betty in Bowling Green KY who got a very late start on the genetics class but
knows what she likes!  LOL!  Franky, if I had to go to all that trouble it
would take the fun out of it, for me.  It would be more like work.  But, I
appreciate all of you that do it.  It's interesting learning why some of the
fun things happen.  (I thought it was any amoena and any plicata!  Shows to
go!)

Looking for the perfect gift for a friend?
http://www.ONElist.com
Tell them about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!