Re: Bloom report:

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

IT DIDN'T FREEZE!  So, I'm happy to report:

LEORA KATE, an ordinary yellow bloom, older, shorter and listed
as a rebloomer.  Not bad, not extaordinary, but I'm sure if it reblooms
it stands out more.  AFFAIRE - I had to thump this one to get it
open.  All tangled up in it's own ruffles.  I like the color on the falls,
maybe because they are mustard and remind me of food.  I'd like
a self in the color, is there one?  TRAITOR - could as easily have
been called TURNCOAT.  It has the most nondescript khaki buds
without any hint of color.  Not till it turns it coat is it apparent that
it is primarily a mid to light blue with khaki shading on the edges of
the standards and falls & if you look close, khaki veining.  The thick
beard is vivid blue-purple.  T didn't bloom on the mother rhizome, but
I have 6 increases/4 stalks.  And I've been waiting for LEMON CHESS.
Stalks waist high!  Tons of increase.  Neither usual in my growing
conditions.  Good name.  Nice lemon color with thick orange beards.
Hope it growth pattern is not a one time thing.  I think it may like Texas.
SEA SHADOWS, the reliable SIB.  Not even as tall as last year, but
more than a week earlier and just loaded with buds again.  I do like
the way they perch on the top like blue butterflies.

Another stalk on CHIMERA.  Not bad.  Outside of the median arilbreds,
this is the only median doing really well.  The rhizome I bought last
summer put up a late stalk which got frozen, so I didn't expect any
spring bloom, but have had two stalks.

I doubt the misnamed pink is CLOSE SHAVE.  It probably has too much
beard for that.  It has a solid beard, just real thin in width.  It's
pretty much
baby pink all over, just lightening slightly in the center of the falls -
hardly
noticeable.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7 enjoying mounds of bluebonnets on the side of the unmowable
hill.

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US
            http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe1