SPEC: Seedlings Up!

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Hi, Talk-ers!

The first of the 15 varieties of species and species-cross iris seeds that
I planted outdoors has sprouted, and the winner is . . . . . I.
missouriensis! These were seeds that Marte Halleck collected near her home
in the foothills west of Denver in 1997 and which she sent me last year. I
planted them in pots in late October and sank the pots up to their rims in
soil in an open frame. Other than that I have given them no attention,
except to water the pots whenever they looked dry since the snow melted
this spring. Nothing had germinated by last Sunday, and when I noticed that
there were seedlings up yesterday, eleven of them had already sprouted.
This seems like a pretty good germination rate, as I believe there were
only 15 or 16 seeds in the pot (I wrote down the number when I planted
them, but quite characteristically, I can't find my notes now).

Beginning to wonder why I'm not seeing anything in the other 14 pots.

Of the species iris/irid seeds that I planted indoors this winter, I.
tectorum and I. attica have sprouted, along with Vesper iris and some sort
of Aouth American Sisyrinchium, but no sign yet from two types of PCN or I.

Did you know that we add over 1,000 new e-mail communities every day?
Explore a new hobby, discover a new friend, laugh at a new joke!