Re: tetraploid

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 4/17/99 9:21:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mlowe@worldiris.com writes:

<< IBs and MTBs are both becoming a grab bag of very diverse backgrounds, and
 LADY EMMA was one of the early cultivars that 'pushed the envelope' of the
 conventional formula for defining class. >>

Hi Mike:

I have never been able to understand LADY EMMA being called a MTB.  Other
people say it conforms to the class, but wherever I have seen it blooming, it
looked like an IB to me.  The blooms have been too large for MTB and the
stems didn't have the necessary slenderness and gracefulness.

Some years ago we had some IB seedlings that approached MTB size and crossed
them with diploid MTBs.  This did not bring the resulting seedlings down to
the MTB requirements and they were deadends in regard to fertility.

Dorothy Willott

Start a new hobby. Meet a new friend.
ONElist:  The leading provider of free e-mail list services!