CULT: Catching Mislabeled Cultivars

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Well, folks -- it happened again.  I finally managed to get my hands on
RANCHO ROSE, long-desired object of hybridizing experiments in quest of
pink quarterbreds -- and it bloomed a YELLOW halo pattern!!!!

Most of my acquisitions are with hybridizing in mind, and after the
unfortunate experience of discovering one had been mislabeled AFTER I'd
registered its first offspring, I've started checking every new import when
it blooms the first time and everything that's been moved since it was

I don't mean to embarrass anyone.  RANCHO ROSE came from a club sale and
the participants will remain nameless.  Commercial sources are usually more
reliable.  But this prompts me to remind newcomers to use catalog
descriptions and checklists to catch errors.  You can't be sure that
something is correct, but you can sure catch something that's impossible.
A yellow "RANCHO ROSE" [the real thing is a salmon-pink ground plicata] is
a no-brainer.

Other recent examples:

GOLDEN BUTTERFLY is a yellow hoogianabred, with deeper yellow hafts.  If it
blooms [as it did for me] with white standards, yellow falls, and
oncogeliabred form -- it's MISLABELED!

LATE AMETHYST is a selected variant of I. hoogiana -- but my newly acquired
rhizome bloomed with a signal.  Turned out to be an RC, I believe the one
that Lloyd Austin sold as Hoogiana Purpurea, not the selected purpurea
variant of I. hoogiana.

JOPPA PARROT has a distinctive broad, diffuse, onco-like beard.  The
imposter has the right general color, but the wrong type of beard.

O.K.  You get the idea.  I'll climb down from the soapbox now.

"Be careful out there!"

Sharon McAllister

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US