Digest Number 442

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Jeff Walters:
I would think the probability of getting a tetraploid seedling from a cross
of two diploid parents would be vanishingly small. Perhaps Sharon
McAllister might have some insights here.

I prefer "extremely remote" to "vanishingly small".

I believe that Simonet found one probable example in his quest for
tetraploid breakthroughs [I don't recall the name and that's more digging
than I'm prepared to do in the wee hours of this morning] and Mitra
theorized that the tetraploid form of I. kashmiriana arose spontaneously
from the diploid form.  Some of the articles I encountered early in my
hybridizing career were in journals of plant genetics, where quite a bit of
work had been done in the production of amphidiploids by crossing otherwise
incompatible diploids.  IF you accept the definition of amphidiploids as a
special type of tetraploid I suppose that would serve as an example of the
utility of diploids in quest of tetraploids.

But, overall -- let's just say it's not something we count on!

Sharon McAllister

Looking for the perfect gift for a friend?
Tell them about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!