HIST: Color Codes

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Mike Lowe:

Question: is there a W5 iris? [39/49 C.L. color code] I am having
difficulty finding a 'White ground, yellow feathered/stitched' plicata.

When you really think about it, there are vanishing few white ground yellow
plicatas even today. There are multitudes of yellow iris with a white spot
ranging from dime sized to ones almost pushing the yellow to a wire rim --
but plicata?<

What about TOP HILLY?  Coded as W5, described by Austin as "Standards
glistening white, flushed, veined and edged pale yellow.  Falls pearly
white flushed lemon yellow around edge with pale blue signal.  Intense
orange beard."  Sure wish I had a picture....

JOCUND also bore the W5 code, but I haven't yet found an equally good
description.

The yellow-on-white-ground "plicata" pattern does turn up in the arilbred
patch today [see FINE FEATHER FRIEND on my web site] but these are the only
two that immediately come to mind from the 30s & 40s.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com
http://www.geocities.com/~smcallister

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US
            http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe1