Re: HYB: Aneuploid TBs (chromosome counts)

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Aneuploid TBs (chromosome counts)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 06:41:33 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

> Let's assume you've assembled a nice collection of diploids and have
> been
> merrily spreading pollen around, selecting the best seedlings for
> further
> use -- oblivious to what's going on at the level of chromosome
> conjugation,
> but providing conditions conducive to the production and preservation of
> aneuploids.  Unmatched chromosomes left after the pairing process appear
> be distributed at random to the daughter cells, and the 25- or
> 26-chromosome aneuploids seem to have a survival advantage over the 22-
> or
> 23-chromosome aneuploids -- so you could easily have selected some 25-
> or
> 26-chromosome  hybrids as breeding stock....

Well....where did these 26 chromosome guys come from?  From the HIPS
page, hardly any are 26.  Two out of 682, to be exact, & one of those is
PALTEC.  Here are all the 25s & 26s.

 Alastor	25
 Cordelia	 25
 Iris King	25
 Lodestar	25
 Maori King	 25
 Pixie	 25
 Prince d'Orange	 25
 Black Prince	26
 Paltec	 26

On the other hand, there are tons of 50s - here are the 49s, 50s, 51s,
and 52s.  Note that only ONE 52 shows up.

Al-lu-we	49
 Amenti	49
 Amigo	49
 Angelus	49
 At Dawning	49
 Aubanel	49
 Cardinal	 49
 Cellophane	 49
 Cheerio	 49
 Christabel	 49
 Conquistador	 49
 Constance Meyer	 49
 Copper Lustre	 49
 Damerine	49
 Easter Morn	49
 El Capitan	49
 El Tovar	49
 Garden Magic	49
 Golden Spike	49
 Golden Glow	49
 Helios	49
 Junaluska	 49
 Lancaster	49
 Leonard de Vinci	49
 Los Angeles	49
 Madame Louis Aureau	 49
 Marie Louise Caillat	 49
 Mary Geddes	 49
 Matterhorn	 49
 Michel-Ange	 49
 Miss California	 49
 Missouri	 49
 Naranja	 49
 Peachblow	 49
 Prairie Sunset	 49
 Prince of Orange	 49
 Rasakura	49
 Red Gleam	49
 Rosakura	49
 Royal Coach	49
 Sarah Goodloe	 49
 Seduction	 49
 Shah Jehan	 49
 Snoqualmie	 49
 Spun Gold	 49
 Storm King	 49
 Tenebrae	 49
 The Red Douglas	 49
 Van Dyck	49
 Wakarusa	 49
 Wildfire	 49

 Alhambra	50
 Ambassadeur	50
 Argentina	50
 Avondale	50
 Beau Sahreur	50
 Caroline Burr	 50
 Dejazet	50
 Desert Gold	50
 Directeur Pinelle	50
 Dominion	50
 Dorothy Dietz	50
 Dubrovnik	50
 Duquesne	50
 Elsa Sass	50
 Gericault	50
 Kashmir White	50
 Lent A. Williamson	50
 Lucero	50
 Monadnock	 50
 Orion	50
 Rosy Wings	50
 Sonny Boy	 50
 Triptych	 50
 Exclusive	50
Fair  Lighthouse	 50
M. A. Porter	  50

 Midwest Gem	 51
 Miss Willmott	 51
 Red Valor	51
  Aztec Copper	 51

Caylus	 52

Ormaco	53

Next winter (is that this weekend? brrr), I'm going to wade thru the
pedigrees of all of this latter bunch and see if they seem to fall in
groups & then try to get more of them to torture here.  So far, I have
at least one 50 - ROSY WINGS (now y'all can see another reason I picked
that one to experiment with), and if I follow Dave Holm's suggestion, I
may wind up with a LOT of ROSY WINGS :)  .

This is the wrong time of year to be doing all this heavy thinking!

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
temps right above freezing 3 nights in a row (some scattered frost) - at
this rate, a hard freeze tonight shouldn't do too much damage.

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US
            http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe1