Re: tetraploid

From: "S&C Rust" <srust@fidnet.com>

Dorothy, I am printing your letter and adding it with trepidition to
Stephanie's notebook on hybridizing reblooming MTBs with aril
characteristics.  LADY EMMA does bloom within the MTB class here; we don't
understand why others class it as an IB!  Guess it just goes to show what
different growing conditions will do!  We have had it in poorish soil.  Last
year, we moved a good part of the clump to better (richer) quarters and are
anxious to see the difference in growth and bloom.  LADY EMMA is an
excellent grower, bloomer and rebloomer here.  It sets pods with ease for us
(even bee pods); we have not tried its pollen yet, but will this year.  We
have a few of its seedlings here this year, but I think too small to bloom
this first spring.  It is disappointing to hear that the seedlings crossed
on other diploid MTBs were also out of class and infertile.  We had in mind
to try crossing these seedlings on the smallest aphylla we could find.

Cindy Rust, Missouri

Has ONElist changed your life?
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!