Re: tetraploid

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 4/18/1999 6:54:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
srust@fidnet.com writes:

<< LADY EMMA does bloom within the MTB class here; we don't
 understand why others class it as an IB! >>

Christy,

For a brief moment in 1995 I flirted with the idea of breeding MTB's.  I
collected over a dozen MTB's with the thought of producing a line of
rebloomers in the class.  In the selected collection was, of course, LADY
EMMA.  I bought three pieces of LE, knowing of it's debated qualifications in
class.  I placed all MTB's in a large raised bed and waited for them to bloom.

The project didn't get off the ground, much less tip it's wings.  Over
extension of the project manager.  However, I did see the bed bloom for a
couple of seasons before I moved.  IMHO the only thing that would qualify LE
is the height.  The stalks were decidedly NOT MTB.  They lacked the pencil
thin quality, the grace, and expanded branching of MTB branches.  The
branches were more compact and the blooms were held closer to the stalk.
IB's I've grown, though limited, have short, stiff, straight branches, with
blooms held close to the stalk.  A feature I don't like.  LE has more
curvature to the branches, but, all and all, is more like the IB than MTB.
Also, the bloom form was more IB than MTB.  It was the first in the bed to
bloom.  (Actually, I'd vote LE as what an IB shouldbe. )

The only MTB I brought with me is Welch's Reward, which I've grown and
admired since it's introduction.  It grows well and blooms in profusion.  (It
had intermingled with Consumation and I hope a piece of Con. survives as
well.  A true knock out.)  It keeps me in the class.  I have always admired
the grace of the MTB's and have no trouble seeing why it was dubbed the
'table iris.'

Another unsolicited opinion from Betty Wilkerson in Bowling Green, KY home of
perpetual cold and nasty weather.

Are you hogging all the fun?
http://www.ONElist.com
Friends tell friends about ONElist!