Re: SPEC: Seedlings Up!

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> The first of the 15 varieties of species and species-cross iris seeds that
> I planted outdoors has sprouted, and the winner is . . . . . I.
> missouriensis! These were seeds that Marte Halleck collected near her home
> in the foothills west of Denver in 1997 and which she sent me last year. I
> planted them in pots in late October and sank the pots up to their rims in
> soil in an open frame. Other than that I have given them no attention,

Jeff, My I mssouriensis seeds from Marte have not germinated yet. They
spent the winter outside like yours but we are in a frost pocket and
they will probably take longer.

> Of the species iris/irid seeds that I planted indoors this winter, I.
> tectorum and I. attica have sprouted, along with Vesper iris and some sort
> of Aouth American Sisyrinchium, but no sign yet from two types of PCN

I got some PCN seeds from Vicky Craig and was able to take advantage of
Rodney Barton's advice and do the initial incubation at 50-5oF which
allowed nearly all the seeds I had to germinate. A friend of mine who
had thesame seeds but not the same window couldn't get hers to
germinate. So the preincubation at 50oF is important.

I got some I versicolor seeds from SIGNA and haven't been able to get
these to germinate at all. I've just put them in the freezer for a week
and will take them out tomorrow and see what happens. Am planning to
alternate 24 hours in the fridge with 24 hours out of the fridge which I
found helped with the I typhifolia germination.

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US
            http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe1