Re: HYB: weather-rain

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

>  The chance of
> rain washing pollen out before it 'takes' is 0 to none.  Or so I've been told.
>
> Comments????????
>
> Betty in cool, crisp Bowling Green KY.

	Betty, the gullywashers we have had here after a round of
pollinating have ruined all flowers and there were no takes. I listen
to the weatherman before a session.

	Just for the heck of it the other evening near dark, I smeared some
pollen, and it looks like every one took.  I think a take can occur
almost anytime except after a hard rain.  Many daubers say it must be
done in the middle of the day, but that is not true.  I have made
many successful crosses after coming home from work...most of my
hybridizing has been done after 5 p.m.

	I also use a lot of rebloomer pollen that was gathered in Oct or Nov
and frozen for several months.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Shop.theglobe.com * One-Stop Shopping * Free Shipping in U.S.!
Live Personal Shopper * Satisfaction Guaranteed * No Hassle Returns!
Accessories, Apparel, Jewelry, Kids, Sporting Goods, Apparel, More!!