Re: Bloom report: thalo blue

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

Back when this list still operated from IRIS-L, there was a
discussion of blue irises - pthalocynanine blue being the
color used as a basis for the blue color.  From that discussion
I set about acquiring a sampling of irises in the blue range.
BUSY BEING BLUE has already been mentioned since it
has been blooming here for several days.  The other three
acquired (a fifth I couldn't locate) bloomed today!  What fun!
BBB is on the baby blue end, the lightest color.  It didn't put
up very tall stalks, but is definitely on the pale blue end.
SHINING WATERS is especially blue in the standards; a
touch more lavender in the falls.  A delicate, simple thing as
many of the older irises are.  It probably should have gotten
taller, but I haven't any idea of the registered height.  YAQUINA
BLUE - a medium blue, darker than the other two.  A nice
stalk with nice blooms.  No increase here, so I will have to
experiment with methods learned from the list, replace it or
forget growing it.  BREAKERS, the darkest of the blues - not
quite, but approaching a royal blue.  Probably my favorite.  Two
tall stalks on a first year rhizome may be an influence, but I
do like the color!

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7

Did you know that we add over 1,000 new e-mail communities every day?
http://www.ONElist.com
Explore a new hobby, discover a new friend, laugh at a new joke!