Re: Bloom report: the rest of the story

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello again,

First the blues, now for the rest of the story.  The pallida of
Linda Mann bloomed today.  If my faulty memory can be trusted
(not), it does look very similar to my variegated pallida.  However,
I do think it may have bloomed late.  It wouldn't get frozen too
often blooming here this time of year.  The variegated is still to
come yet, so Linda's is probably earlier which was how we got
around to trading.  LADY FRIEND also bloomed today and it is
usually an early bloomer?  Unusual color.  Garnet rose is as good
as any, I guess.  Probably one of those colors you have to see in
real life.  LORD JEFF - given to me by a friend who got it from her
son-in-law Jeff who was given it by his grandmother, Mrs. Green in
the Sherman/Denison area.  Probably not LJ, so they didn't keep
up with the cultivar.  A nice tall (as tall as LEMON CHESS) yellow
ground plicata with dark red markings.  Pretty large bloom as well.
A striking iris, but it doesn't match the description I've found of LJ.
CAJUN SPICES - this paprika toned red bloomed last year.  Really
nice when fresh, but faded in our sun.  Still being evaluated for long
term residence due to the fading.  DODGE CITY - pinkish tan when
fresh, fading to a pleasant, comfortable tan in our sun.  Not as tall
as the stalk last year, but blooms are in proportion.  HELLO DARKNESS
-nice to have this one bloom with SATAN'S MISTRESS.  Both are
very dark, but HD comes from the purple and SM comes from ruby
red.  Both have nice velvety finishes, with SM being just a bit more
plush.  Last year HD bloomed with STUDY IN BLACK, which comes
from the red end, but not ruby red.  It may overlap HD again.  Hd is
an eyecatcher, for sure.  I think it is blacker this season than last.
The falls aren't really showing much else this year.  VOLTAGE - not
planted next to HD so I've avoided a Hallowe'en effect.  This has been
a good grower and increaser and there are stalks to show it.  Also,
I've not had good luck with oranges so this is a real treat instead of a
trick.  Good orange color, the storebought kind, nice tall stalks.  Makes
me think of those gooey orange slices made from sweet orange gellatin
and coated with granules of suger.  I like those things.  Finally, a yellow
seedling is blooming.  Proves the hazards of growing something for
yourself.  I know when it blooms why it hasn't the compost pile, but by
the time bloom comes again next spring, I'll will have made plans to
scrap it as I've done for several years now.  It'll probably get another
reprieve then.  If it ever skips blooming it will be a goner, for sure.  I
know why I like it, but can't really justify it.  When it first opens the
antique yellow blooms, it has an aril look.  It is very globular and the
falls recurve back toward the stems.  The golden color is dusted with
a brown velvet coating, more pronounced in the falls and darker in the
center and around the beards.  I've justified growing it because I don't
want to give up the color.  It is not a prolific bloomer, but increases and
grows well.  After being open for day, it fades slightly and picks up the
more old fashioned iris shape.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7 - probably at peak bloom now.

Has ONElist changed your life?
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!