HYB: Variegated foliage, plus sundry chat

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Hi All,
I've been enjoying the topics of conversation lately, but haven't
much time to participate. I'm reading digest, as I will be involved
in the Castlemaine State Festival for the next two weeks, and have a
heap of plants (mostly irises in pots) to sell. The money will go
towards the next stage of garden extension, and I hope to be able to
open my garden for inspection next Spring, when the irises are in
bloom of course.
Re Variegated foliage, TWOI (p308) says the variegation tends to be
unstable in tet seedlings, and you need to constantly select the
variegated fans, sugesting that the variegation is somatic.
When breeding for variegation, I believe that the variegated parent
must always be the pod parent.
Zebra is a variegated form of I Pallida, and is diploid. (I just
acquired a start of this myself)
Correct me if my facts are wrong, anyone, but I thought the above
info. might be useful to Joni.
My seedlings are germinating, but not up yet. How do I know? Well I
had a bit of a scratch down into the potting soil, to check, and sure
enough! I also dug down to check if my Spurias are growing, and
pulled up a TB rhizome to see if it had roots. Time I learnt some
self control!

Cheers, Jan in Australia, where the lovely Autumn weather is luring
me into the garden again.

Tired of empty chat rooms and out of date bulletin boards?
ONElist: Making the Internet Intimate