HIST: HYB: "Black and White Irises"

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 4/20/99 4:05:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
suttons@lightspeed.net writes:

<<  pssst don't tell anyone, but I think we have a black and white iris.
 shortly. Mike >>

Very interesting. There have been several things touted as "black and white
irises" in the past. Two that come to mind among the hybrids are DEMI-DEUIL (
Denis, 1912 ), a little fancy you will find a picture of on the HIPS
Page--picture is a bit roseate if my memory of the flower is accurate--and
also HEADLINES (Brummit, 1953) Winner of the British Dykes Medal in 1959,
which is basically a high contrast amoena. There is a rather inadequate photo
of that one in Perennials, Vol. I, by Phillips and Rix. It looks like a
lesser WABASH, proving that black is in the eye of the beholder. You know of
course that all Dykes medals are actually British Awards? The Americans and
the Australians recommend the winner but the BIS actually awards the Dykes
medal. This is true. The French gave up awarding a Dykes Medal pretty early
on since it was won only by the great Cayeux family. Yes, that is the
selfsame Cayeux family one hears about today. Some photos of Cayeux Dykes
irises are on the HIPS page, too, along with a list of the French Dykes
Winners. And on the other side of the page at the World Iris site, there are
modern Cayeux irises to look at.

Both the HIPS page and the World Iris Page are located at

This little educational message was brought to you by HIPS, which invites you
to  savor the great interlinked continuum of ideas and goals and people which
is the history of the Rainbow Flower.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society, AIS

Looking to expand your world?
ONElist has over 115,000 e-mail communities from which to chose!