Re: Bloom report

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

I've reached that point that payoff point all gardeners strive for
and sometimes never achieve.  The hard labor w/a pick axe,
getting trapped under a limestone slab for a time, putting up
with a plastic covered eyesore for most of last summer while
the new area was solarized and now what was a weedy, unmowable
rock pile is filled with a stunning display of irises.  Nice from afar
(this is a really big yard) and a delight with close examination. No
rows here, since all my beds are odd shapes defined by where
the rocks can't be pried out and stick up too far for mowing over.

Today the much discussed THORNBIRD bloomed.  Now I can
see it for myself and make up my mind on which side of the fence
I'm on.  Mine had spoons on the first bloom.  Lots of stalks on this
one, so I may see some horns as well.  LAURA LOUISE - a yellow
LA.  So different from the TBs in form.  Almost daylily like in shape
and appearance.  It faded a bit in the Texas sun, but was not
completely washed out.  ACADIAN MISS, another LA.  Best feature
on maiden bloom are the lettuce green styles.  Green w/white is
a very clean crisp color combo.  Ruffles on this one around the
edges.  ACAPULCO SUNSET - a golden yellow.  Appears to enjoy
the Texas sun.  That's nearly always a consideration here.  EARL
OF ESSEX - a busier plicata.  Not tall for me, but it was planted
rather late and has two stalks.  Also a reported rebloomer.  LATE
LILAC - a darker lilac line down the falls gives interest to the bloom.
Late planted and not tall this year; another with rebloom potential.
CLEARWATER - so far the nicest color in the blue-white range.  It
is very pale, but clearly is blue toned even from a distance.  This
was nice last year and looks to repeat the performance.  MALAGUENA
-another orange.  This has more yellow in the falls than VOLTAGE and
has white in the center of the falls.  DUNNGAREES - this is yet another
shade of blue.  Need a navy blue I guess.  That would probably complete
the color chart!

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7 - where it it too warm and far too windy today.

> From: Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net>
> To: iris-talk@onelist.com
> Subject: [iris-talk] Re: Bloom report:  the rest of the story
> Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 7:52 PM
> From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
> Hello again,
> First the blues, now for the rest of the story.  The pallida of
> Linda Mann bloomed today.  If my faulty memory can be trusted
> (not), it does look very similar to my variegated pallida.  However,
> I do think it may have bloomed late.  It wouldn't get frozen too
> often blooming here this time of year.  The variegated is still to
> come yet, so Linda's is probably earlier which was how we got
> around to trading.  LADY FRIEND also bloomed today and it is
> usually an early bloomer?  Unusual color.  Garnet rose is as good
> as any, I guess.  Probably one of those colors you have to see in
> real life.  LORD JEFF - given to me by a friend who got it from her
> son-in-law Jeff who was given it by his grandmother, Mrs. Green in
> the Sherman/Denison area.  Probably not LJ, so they didn't keep
> up with the cultivar.  A nice tall (as tall as LEMON CHESS) yellow
> ground plicata with dark red markings.  Pretty large bloom as well.
> A striking iris, but it doesn't match the description I've found of LJ.
> CAJUN SPICES - this paprika toned red bloomed last year.  Really
> nice when fresh, but faded in our sun.  Still being evaluated for long
> term residence due to the fading.  DODGE CITY - pinkish tan when
> fresh, fading to a pleasant, comfortable tan in our sun.  Not as tall
> as the stalk last year, but blooms are in proportion.  HELLO DARKNESS
> -nice to have this one bloom with SATAN'S MISTRESS.  Both are
> very dark, but HD comes from the purple and SM comes from ruby
> red.  Both have nice velvety finishes, with SM being just a bit more
> plush.  Last year HD bloomed with STUDY IN BLACK, which comes
> from the red end, but not ruby red.  It may overlap HD again.  Hd is
> an eyecatcher, for sure.  I think it is blacker this season than last.
> The falls aren't really showing much else this year.  VOLTAGE - not
> planted next to HD so I've avoided a Hallowe'en effect.  This has been
> a good grower and increaser and there are stalks to show it.  Also,
> I've not had good luck with oranges so this is a real treat instead of a
> trick.  Good orange color, the storebought kind, nice tall stalks.  Makes
> me think of those gooey orange slices made from sweet orange gellatin
> and coated with granules of suger.  I like those things.  Finally, a
> seedling is blooming.  Proves the hazards of growing something for
> yourself.  I know when it blooms why it hasn't the compost pile, but by
> the time bloom comes again next spring, I'll will have made plans to
> scrap it as I've done for several years now.  It'll probably get another
> reprieve then.  If it ever skips blooming it will be a goner, for sure.
> know why I like it, but can't really justify it.  When it first opens the
> [...]

New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
Sign up for a new e-mail list today!