Re: HYB: "Black and White Irises" ('Headlines')

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 4/21/99 8:58:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, BILLS@hsc.edu
writes:

<< I grew 'Headlines' many years ago, and on consulting my photo file found
 that the picture Anner refers to in the Rix book is woefully off.
 'Headlines" did have falls as black as any "black" iris of its time, and
 did give the impression in the garden of a black and white iris >>

I'm glad to hear that. I've wondered, you see, since the literature does
indicate such, but the photo, which is just unglamorized enough to suggest
accuracy, does not seem very compelling. Maybe they don't even have the real
thing in that picture. As recent books have clearly demonstrated, there are
plenty of misnamed irises circulating in the UK as well as here. It is a
colossal problem, and not only one that affects the historics. If you think
of hybrid cultivars as unique botanical entities, it is also quite serious.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

G-SHOCK SPORTS WATCH - Built Tough! Built Cool! G-SHOCK keeps you in
Sync!  Shock Resistant and Loaded with Features!  Electo-luminescent,
Satisfaction Guaranteed*No-Hassle Returns*Only $69 Free Freight in US
          http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe6