MED: RE: MDB bloom season and stuff

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Maureen Mark wrote:
>Jeff,

>You must be a lot closer to zone 5 than 4.  My first MDBs bloom mid May, so
>I'm a few weeks away still.  Daffodils are just getting going and crocuses
>are finishing.

	And Maureen you sure are in Zone 4...daffodils here are about
	3" high and some are still emerging. BUT I. danfordiae is in full
	swing and I. reticulata (Clairette and also Natasha) are just
	getting going. Natasha is a nice foil for Clairette but the yellow
	of the danfordiae is eye-catching even from our second-story bedroom
	window.

	Bill Shear's advice about planting some English irises seems to
	have been on the money since I saw some little green shoots just
	starting to emerge from the cold ground. Also, McClure & Zimmerman
	sent wonderfully healthy bulbs. Yes, they cost more but I got named
	I. reticulatas which is want I wanted.

	Spring has sprung even in Zone 3...but the ground is still frozen
	after about four inches down. It better unthaw soon since I have
	Siberians being shipped this week from Dana Borglum. Finally, Lake
	Keuka will grace my garden. :)

	1997 - June 1st, first MDB (Cradle Days) normal season

	1998 - May 9th, first MDB (Cradle Days) very early season

	1999 - ????  looks like another early season here - alas I left
			Cradle Days behind at the old house but have
			plenty of MDBs and all of them look good - except
			for one I. pumila seedling that had the temerity to
			die...it was one of yours, Lowell (sorry).

	Ellen