Re: TB Bewilderbest

From: "S&C Rust" <srust@fidnet.com>

Speaking of Bewilderbeast.  I have been trying to establish it here for two
years, but every year it gets zapped by the first cold blast after a warm
spell and starts to rot.  I've tried pieces of it in several spots.  Still
to no avail.  But, last year after the whole thing threatened to die, I dug
up the four remaining (tiny) rhizomes and potted them all in a mixture of
potting soil and sand for the summer.  They resided under a portion of the
barn overhang, so the only water they got was what I gave them.  They still
had sun until afternoon and lots of fresh air.  My mother really doesn't
care for most beardless iris.  She must be enticed with something either
blue or novel.  So, I snuck down to her yard and planted both a start of
Bewilderbeast and Tiger Honey next to a floribunda rose.  My Mom's yard is
pretty swampy (thus her success with beardless!) but she has a few drier
spots and her soil is like chocolate cake.  She called me this morning and
told me, "The bearded thing with the zoo name you snuck in by my good
rosebush has a bloomstalk on it."  I knew this would happen.  She will call
me when it blooms, and I will drive to her house to harvest the pollen and
pollinate the bloom there.  She wanted to know if I wanted her to water it.
(It is forecast to rain all week and rained last night and this morning)
She waters and feeds her beardless constantly.  (waters them twice a day all
growing season; feeds every week!)  I told her to ignore it until it
bloomed.  Isn't it curious how I babied it every way I knew how for years
and all it wants to do is die for me?  Yet, for my Mom, 10 miles away, it
lives and blooms!!  What she doesn't know is that a few more "impossible for
me to grow varieties" may land on the other side of her good rosebush this
summer!

Cindy Rust, Missouri

You can now easily share photos and documents with your fellow list members
http://www.ONElist.com
Check out our homepage for details on how to use our new shared files feature!