HYB: Aril Questions

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Dennis Kramb:

>  Which way gives you best results in crossing quarterbred with tetraploid
arils?   Quarterbred as pod parent or pollen parent?

And what about when crossing tet TBs with tet arils?  Does it seem to make
a difference which one is the pod parent or pollen parent?

...so many questions!  :)

I normally use the quarterbred as the pod parent, mostly because of the
relative bloom time. I'd expect results to be similar to those of the TB x
tet aril crosses, but haven't accumulated enough supportive data to give
you a definitive answer on that one.

I've been crossing TBs & BBs with tet arils for almost 25 years.  So far,
NOTHING worth introducing from a cross with the TB or BB as pod parent --
although there are still some unbloomed seedlings.  The TB onto tet aril
cross is harder to make, but has been more successful for me.

Sharon McAllister

Looking to expand your world?
ONElist has over 115,000 e-mail communities from which to chose!