Re: Bloom report:

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

Windy, windy, windy.  Not good iris weather today.  Still there
are some new and interesting events in the iris beds.  Another
LA - PRESIDENT HEDLEY - this one is a flat one.  Sort of JI
in form and a bit darker shade than daffodil yellow.  Very nice
and less wind damage than I would have expected.  BATIK - the
only BB I have.  This one tried to bloom last year much earlier
and got frozen.  I think some plant memory must be at work as
these bud stalks are well past our normal freeze danger. This
one takes a good photo.  The photos I've seen are accurate
representations of what is in the garden.  JADE QUEEN - a
wren amongst the bluejays!  The softest colors I've ever seen
in an iris, this historic is a true art shade.  Fawn over a yellow
ground w/a wash of lavender in the falls.  Probably not to everyone's
taste, but I like it very much.  One of those that had an interesting
description which aroused my curiosity as is ROYAL TARA.  This
was described as uranium green.  I had to find out what this color
was, since I had no idea.  Turns out is a very creamy shade of
yellow, slightly lighter than EGGNOG and similar to TANQUERAY.
Nice stalk with three blooms and very pleasant to view.  VICTORIA
FALLS who is standing up in the wind.  A tall stalk with a good
size bloom, but so far staying erect.  One I still think is mislabled,
but purchased as HELEN COCHRAN, this blue white is not as tall
as last year.  I bought another HC to compare, but it is not showing
any signs of blooming this year.  FRINGE BENEFITS - a curly orange.
I think the orange is more pronounced this year, but last year's stalks
had freeze damage.  RAMAYANA - an arilbred.  Now I only have two
arilbreds showing buds which haven't bloomed.  R is probably my
least favorite of the bunch, but if it consistantly has blooms this late
it will probably be one which escapes freezes more often.  TITAN'S
GLORY - nice as usual, but is not going to be as generous with
blooms as last year.  TANYA - another whose description sounded
interesting and with the orangish standards over near black falls, it
does a nice job in the iris bed.  HONEY LACE - a good descriptive
name for this plicata.  The head of the household is quite taken with
it.  I'm not so much, but plics always have trouble convincing me.  It
is very nice.  Others are the very reliable yellow ground/red plicata
which I am trying to identify (yes, this one has convinced me).  I
thought it might be AUTUMN ECHO, but tho the rhizome I purchased
will not bloom so I can compare, I'm now doubtful since the foliage
no longer looks the same as the cultivar I grow.  A Wal-Mart yellow -
this one is quite a nice iris, but since it was sold as PRISSY MISSY
this last year it is clearly mislabeled.  I have promised myself to buy
only from reputable suppliers.  Anyway this is a nice medium yellow
with nice strong stalks - a self in every way, even the beards are the
same color.  A wine colored home grown bee pod seedling.  I've kept
this one several years now.  It is an older form seedling from a modern
form pod parent and is a prolific bloomer.  One of seedlings from the
first seeds I ever attempted to grow, and still one of the most attractive
and by far the most free blooming.  The ability to produce lots of bloom
stalks and give a great garden show, plus an attractive bloom keeps
it safe from composting.  So far I haven't threatened this one.

More than half of what will bloom this year are now blooming.  Sad to
think in a short time all this will be gone.  But in the meantime I am
enjoying the show.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone

Did you know that knowledge is power?
Join a new ONElist e-mail community and strengthen your mind!