SDB & MDB: CULT: increases!

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

I've been getting up-close-and-personal with the dwarf beardeds this afternoon. Dividing (we do this in the spring!) and yanking grass and labeling the starts to ship out.

Two years ago I moved all of the bearded things to the lower garden which is almost all sand. The only improvement (other than getting rid of the quack grass) was a cover crop of winter rye planted the year before the irises moved in.

The increases I'm seeing on the dwarf beardeds are amazing! Most are showing at least 4 or 5 fans per start. SNUGGLES is topping out at 7 fans, ALPINE LAKE at 8, and RASPBERRY WHIP is showing 12 fans on one of the rhizomes! I haven't gotten around to digging LITTLE BUCCANEER yet but the clump has exploded in size from last season.

Though the TBs aren't showing this kind of increase (VANITY and SNOW MOUND lead the bunch with 5 fans on almost each rhizome) none are showing rot. Either I've finally killed off all the weakest ones or they like the accommodations. :)

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA z4b

Have you visited the new ONElist home page lately?
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist: The Leading e-mail list and community service on the Internet!