HYB: Quarterbreds

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Cindy Rust:

Sharon, what can I say?  I have avoided purchasing many quarterbreds
because
I thought they were genetic dead ends.  I think I remember reading
somewhere
that Lady Mohr (which I do have because I fell in love with the picture and
description out of a perennial book), despite being very pretty herself, is
not generally a very good parent.  Now I have to look through last year's
ASI sale catalog and pay better attention to the quarterbreds!
<

The easy road in working with arilbreds is to stick to linebreeding
halfbreds.    There are some quarterbreds that have defied all my attempts
to cross them, while others have proved to be relatively fertile.

If you're looking for quarterbreds of proven fertility, you'll find the
answers in Checklists -- but I tend to test a lot of them myself.  If it
has traits I like, and I have a promising partner for it, I make the cross.
  There are actually quite a few introductions from LADY MOHR.  Most were
from crosses with TBs, so aren't considered arilbreds anymore and you
rarely hear about them.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com

Did you know that ONElist hosts some of the largest lists on the Internet?
http://www.ONElist.com
Our scaleable system is the most reliable free e-mail service on the Internet!