Re: MED: MDB Bloom Season

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Irisborer@aol.com
> I wonder if we could take this a bit further......would it be of any
value to
> select a spectrum of bearded irises - from MDB to TB - to grow and
compare?

> I mean to say.... what if we all agreed on a particular MDB, SDB, IB,
MTB, BB
> and TB and all grew them as 'bellringers'.  So that Mike Sutton could
report
> on these cultivars from his climate, I could report from mine and so on
and
> so forth.
>
> Just idle conversation here..... but I think there's an idea in Jeff's
> observation that might be interesting to explore.

Kathy,

That's an interesting suggestion, Kathy. I wonder if the appropriate term
wouldn't be bellwether, from the sheep that had a bell hung from its neck
so the shepherd could keep track of his flock even in the dark, rather than
bellringer. For our purposes we could change the term to bellweather iris.

What would be the desirable characteristics of such an iris? Should it be
one that is very consistent in its performance from year to year (ALWAYS
the first MDB to bloom, etc.)  or one that is more responsive to variations
in environmental conditions? Probably the first if we are looking for
indicators of the timing and sequence of bloom of the different classes of
iris in different locations.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Start a new hobby. Meet a new friend.
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist:  The leading provider of free e-mail list services!