HYB: Seed Pod development

From: "Gary D. Sides" <irisman@mindspring.com>

>What do you think?  Walter?  Sharon?  Anyone else?  Can two seed pods in
>terminal develop properly?  They are both from the same cross; Andromache x
>the MDB, Flea Circus.
The easiest way to mark crosses AND get enough seeds to know the potential
of a cross for me is to use 1 tag for the entire stalk.  As I pod a flower,
I remove one side of the spathes so that water can drain away from the ovary
and so I'll know which ones I've crossed.  I usually try to cross no more
than 3 per stalk...but as many as 5 have developed, although I feel they're
a bit smaller with less seed (as a general rule).  It is not difficult for 2
terminal pods to develop, I've had it happen many times.  When that happens,
(well, it's always a good idea to stake stalks with pods) it is a VERY good
idea to stake your stalk to that the top-heavy part don't take it down in
the wind and the rain.  Also, after all the flowers have bloomed, I remove
all the spathes to keep down the moisture collection and ROT!!

Everybody does it differently, but that makes my life less complicated.

Gary D. Sides   Nashville, TN  USDA 6/7   irisman@mindspring.com
Bearded Iris Rebloom is Up and Coming!  Get some today!

Looking for a new hobby?  Want to make a new friend?
Come join one of the 130,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!