Re: Bloom report:

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

Wouldn't you know peak bloom would correspond with peak
wind?  All too normal in these parts, I'm afraid.  Another LA
-ALOUETTE bloomed today.  Buffy pink w/light green style
arms.  LUX AETERNA - a yellow which was acquired because
the description indicated it had a velvet quality.  Not all that
much under my growing conditions, but the yellow is very
bright on the outer edges of both falls and standards, but
considerably lighter on the midribs and center of falls w/o
being white.  ROYAL TOUCH - purple, purple purple.  Smooth
and nice.  I hope it cools off a bit, because last year it didn't
love our Texas heat and was gone all too soon.  An oldie,
GAY STRIPES - has just that.  This pastel with nearly white
standards has falls delicately striped top to bottom which to
my eye are a lavender blue.  The effect hints of pink.  This '58
vintage iris has an older form than the '58 JADE QUEEN.  Both
have resisted our winds much more than their appearance
suggests.  They look as if there would be no substance on
them at all.  JQ has held up especially well.  There's no protection
and no apparent substance; therefore I don't understand how it
happens.  The original white spuria bloomed.  It will not put on
the show it did last year, but with all that healthy looking growth
I'm thinking next year will make up for the lack this year.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7

Did you know that knowledge is power?
http://www.ONElist.com
Join a new ONElist e-mail community and strengthen your mind!