Re: MED: MDB Bloom Season

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

 Anner Whitehead wrote:
 > I'm inclined to think that rather than attempting to identify a priori
 > individual cultivars which would serve in this capacity, it might be
 valuable
 > to assemble information on many named cultivars--whatever people
 > reported--break it down into size categories and then subcategorize them
 by
 > registered bloom time. From this information, assembled over two or
three

 > years, the names of indicator irises might declare themselves.

 Taking a cue from Anner's suggestion, I calculated the median date of
bloom
 (in the statistical sense) of each of the classes of iris I grow for the
 past three years. The "median date of bloom" for a given year is the date
 on which one-half of all the cultivars to bloom in each class have opened
 their first bloom. The results are as follows:

           MDB  SDB   IB     AB   MTB  TB/BB  SIB   SPU
 1996:   4/29  5/11  5/15  5/22   5/27    6/4     6/15  6/19

 1997:   5/6    5/15  5/18  5/20  5/17    5/31    6/5    6/21

 1998:   4/28  5/16  5/20  5/27  5/22    6/2      6/15  7/4

 Among IB's DARK WATERS and FIREBUG and among TB's HONKY TONK BLUES and
 OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE seemed to be good indicators ("bellweathers") of these
 dates for their class. I am probably not gtowing enough cultivars in the
 other classes to be able to pick out the bellweathers.

 jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Start a new hobby. Meet a new friend.
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist:  The leading provider of free e-mail list services!