CULT: Bellweathers

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 4/22/1999 11:48:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jcwalters@bridgernet.com writes:

<<
  Taking a cue from Anner's suggestion, I calculated the median date of
 bloom
  (in the statistical sense) of each of the classes of iris I grow for the
  past three years. The "median date of bloom" for a given year is the date
  on which one-half of all the cultivars to bloom in each class have opened
  their first bloom. The results are as follows:

            MDB  SDB   IB     AB   MTB  TB/BB  SIB   SPU
  1996:   4/29  5/11  5/15  5/22   5/27    6/4     6/15  6/19

  1997:   5/6    5/15  5/18  5/20  5/17    5/31    6/5    6/21

  1998:   4/28  5/16  5/20  5/27  5/22    6/2      6/15  7/4

  Among IB's DARK WATERS and FIREBUG and among TB's HONKY TONK BLUES and
  OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE seemed to be good indicators ("bellweathers") of these
  dates for their class. I am probably not gtowing enough cultivars in the
  other classes to be able to pick out the bellweathers.

  jcwalters@bridgernet.com>>

I'm excited about this project!  I think it could be very valuable
information to collect!  Furthermore.... since Jeff is way ahead of us in
record keeping, I would nominate him as Project Coordinator!  How about it,
Jeff??

Seems to me that the first thing we need to do is to decide what we're
tracking.  I would suggest that what we need to track is a reliable harbinger
of a season - and we need to select cultivars that have a reasonable chance
of surviving in every climate.  HONKY TONK BLUES is not reliable for me....

So I guess we have to take in information this year, and then decide which
irises to use - and purchase them (if we are not already growing them).

I think that this is JUST the kind of information collection that makes the
internet such a valuable tool... and I'm excited.

Kathy Guest in
E. Aurora, NY (mid-season daffs blooming, polyanthus primula and some
hyacinths)

G-SHOCK SPORTS WATCH - Built Tough! Built Cool! G-SHOCK keeps you in
Sync!  Shock Resistant and Loaded with Features!  Electo-luminescent,
Satisfaction Guaranteed*No-Hassle Returns*Only $69 Free Freight in US
          http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe6