Re: OT: weather and Oklahoma

From: Greer Holland <mindpath@flash.net>

Bill Shear wrote:
> From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
> Our weather has turned hot the last two days: 89 predicted for today's
> high, with a chance of badly needed showers late in the day.  We are very
> short on soil moisture, as all chances for rain seem to slip off to the
> north and east.
> A correspondent in OKC noted that by the time of the convention "iris bloom
> will be way past peak."  Any comments from local folks?
> Bill Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College
> Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
> (804)223-6172
> FAX (804)223-6374
> email<bills@hsc.edu>
Dear Bill,
     Greetings!  Here in the northeast part of Oklahoma City, we still
have many SDB's & IB's just beginning to bloom, with lots of bloom
stalks on the IB's to bloom later.  A few early TB's are in glorious
bloom right now (Snow Flurry, Jesse's Song, Indian Ceramics), but most
of the TB's are just sending their stalks out of the foliage and should
be perfect around May 6th.  Our MTB's aren't showing stalks yet.
     Although yesterday was very warm (upper 80's), today is nicely cool
(in the 50's) and we have had a nice gentle rain going since about 7:00
am.  The forecast for the next few days in highs in the 60's, lows in
the 50's, and for the next five days, highs in the lower to mid 70's and
lows in the 50's and 60's.  This should help slow things down a bit.
	As far as the convention gardens themselves, I think it will depend
upon where they are located in the city or outskirts as to where the
blooms will be during the bus tours.  I was at Perry Dyer's garden last
evening, where there is lots of early bloom with the promise of more to
come.  His back yard should be perfect for the tours.
	Of course, it is up to Mother Nature's temperament as to what we will
have at actual convention time.  We are still planning on some nice

Best regards,
Mona French

Have you visited the new ONElist home page lately?
ONElist: The Leading e-mail list and community service on the Internet!