Re: CULT: Bloom Sequence Project

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Ellen Gallagher
> 	Question: In the TB, BB and IB classes, will there be two *sections*?
> 	One that concentrates on modern tets and one that is primarily
> 	concerned with the classic diploid usually referred to as historic?
> 	I certainly would vote for this (if there was voting).

Speaking for myself, the only diploid TB I grow is PALLIDA VARIEGATA, and
it blooms almost exactly in the middle of the main TB season. Many of the
well known widely grown historic TBs are actually tetraploids and do not
differ from modern TBs in their bloom season characteristics in my
experience. The original classification of the (now) historic medians was
done on lines quite different from current standards. They have been
reclassified, however, and I assume (unless you indicate otherwise) that
this would be the classification to use in determining if a historic iris
should be considered as a BB, IB, or MTB.

> 	Also, I would also like to be included (along with Karen) in a
> 	very different Zone 3 climate. Yes, there are differences....we
> 	get abundant rainfall here. A blessing for beardless and a curse
> 	for bearded (usually but not always).

It will be desirable to have participants in this project from every Zone,
but there is no intention of limiting the number of participants from
within each Zone. I think we are all aware that there will be differences
in timing, and even sequence, of bloom between (for example) Zone 9 and
Zone 6, and between Zone 6 and Zone 3. What may turn out to be really
revealing is the differences between different locations within each Zone;
so the more the merrier, I say.

Where chilly, cloudy, wet weather has put Spring on hold for the past week

G-SHOCK SPORTS WATCH - Built Tough! Built Cool! G-SHOCK keeps you in
Sync!  Shock Resistant and Loaded with Features!  Electo-luminescent,
Satisfaction Guaranteed*No-Hassle Returns*Only $69 Free Freight in US