Re: Bloom report - and a digression

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

What was purchased as ANN CHOWNING, a red LA bloomed
just about as blue as flowers get.  Almost true blue on the medium
to dark side with yellow signals.  Not remotely like the photos or
description (for photo see Shear's 'The Gardener's Iris Book').
Which brings the digression.  The bud color on GREEN AND
GIFTED is purple.  The bud color on BOSS TWEED is med to
light blue.  How common is it to get mislabeled cultivars, anyway?
I expect it more if I purchase from Wal-Mart or someone gives me
what is supposed to be a named cultivar as in the case of LORD
JEFF which is now going to give me another bloom clearly different
from one of the other rhizomes (and they think the only cultivar
they have is LJ! - in their whole yard even, no other varieties).  I
confess to disappointment in GAG (what an acronym).  It didn't
bloom last year so I was really anticipating finally seeing the bloom
and now it appears unlikely the cultivars even exists on the property.
Otherwise, STOP THE MUSIC bloomed.  Looks correct here - red
on a white ground.  My unknown looks similar, only with a yellow
ground.  WHERE'S THE SMOKE - a smoky lavender with orange
beards.  Not really one of my preferred color ranges, so I like it
because there little representation of this color.  Which I suppose
makes no sense at all.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7 - cool and overcast today.  Possible rain in the forecast.
Possibly won't happen, either if our luck runs true.

New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
http://www.ONElist.com
Sign up for a new e-mail list today!