Re: SPEC : Iris Foetidissima seeds

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

>From: "Paul Tyerman" <tyerman@hotmail.com>
>Howdy All,
>     A quick query for thos in the know......
>     Do I. foetidissima seeds needs stratification (i.e cold
>treatment) to germinate?  I just got some fresh seeds of I. foet. and
>I'd like to get them going, but wanted to ask about soaking and
>refridgeration first?

I don't know.  But I can make an educated guess.  I've read that this iris
occurs naturally in southern England, down through France, Spain, Portugal,
and into North Africa.  So my guess is the seeds do not require
stratification, some of those places have mild winters.  Another book says
it also occurs farther east into Italy & Yugoslavia.......which do get cold
up in the mountains.

Boy, I bet that really helps you, don't it!  LOL!

Stratification won't hurt.  If you have enough seeds, you could experiment.
Stratify some, don't stratify others.  Then you can become our Iris
foetidissima germination expert!  (We always needed one of those here.)

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net

Did you know that ONElist hosts some of the largest lists on the Internet?
Our scaleable system is the most reliable free e-mail service on the Internet!