Re: OT: weather and Oklahoma

From: "Perry Dyer" <pdyer@flash.net>

Oh bull!  Bill, who told you that?  (please respond to me off-list).  I just
wish some of the locals would check around first before they put out
"discouraging" reports to the whole United States!

I'm at IB peak and have a grand total of 10 TB's blooming today.  I should
be at peak the week of convention, especially with weather like we're having
this weekend (high in the 50's today!).  The temperature gauge at the
Newcastle bank read 90 at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday as I came through on the
way home from work.  Thursday at 6:00 p.m. it was 50 and hasn't warmed up at
all since.  Early this next week, it's supposed to be in the low 70's
(perfect for pollenating, but I still have WEEDS to pull <sorry, but that
*was* a *shout*>).  And we might get some much-needed rain this weekend too.

We had a Sooner State meeting last night.  There is one garden (Dr.
Matthews, the smallest -- and one of the prettiest -- on tour) is in OKC and
very protected.  Heck, he had bloom in February, probably.  Fortunately, he
also has a *nice* collection of beardless, so there will be plenty to see
there too, I suspect.  The Woodruff Garden (which had some of the best bloom
last year on pre-tour) is fairly far along, but said his bloom is quite
spread out, with some TB stalks just now coming on (same here, actually).

I'm getting ready to deliver the rest of the updated garden labels to the
two master plantings and another garden this afternoon, so I'll check out
the bloom there (unless it's raining) and maybe do another post tonight.
I'm kind of scrambling around at the last minute, doing them.   Our Ruth
Simmons was in charge of doing those, printing out the labels on special
paper from her laser jet in Walters.  As you know, if you've ready through
all your posts, we lost Ruth yesterday afternoon.  We're all pretty much in
shock around here -- especially having sat right there in the same room with
her in a convention planning meeting less than 2 weeks ago.  Truly, she was
one of the most talented, competent, and *sensible* people I've had the
privilege of knowing in this AIS.  AIS has a great loss with her demise, and
we've lost a very special friend.  Between her death and the Littleton
disaster, it has sure been some week.

The post from Martha Brown is right on the money.  You never know with
Oklahoma.  Bring a jacket, your cutoffs, an umbrella, galoshes, sunscreen,
and a smile.  After Denver last year, we had said, "tongue-in-cheek" that we
*wouldn't* have snow.  Well, guess what?  It indeed *snowed* here this past
week!  Of course it was 50 degrees at the time, and you had to look closely
to see it, but "officially" it did.  Incredible.  And if any of you having
been watching the weather real closely, you probably saw serious hail and
tornadoes this past week too.  That was up in north-central Oklahoma, up
around Enid, and in the far north, up around Ponca City.  One poor little
town of about 200 people (Carrier, northwest of Enid) was virtually
completely wiped out!  Nothing like that down here (so far, knock on <dead>
wood).  And those confounded winds that Oklahoma and Texas were having seem
to have subsided.  I had a few TB stalks snap, but not too many.

Tired and grumpy.  Typical pre-convention stress.  But I promise, by the
time y'all arrive (in less than 2 weeks now!), I'll be all-smiles, on my
best behavior, and ready to entertain.  I'll even try to avoid any
infelicitous comments while you're here (tee-hee).

Perry Dyer
Blanchard, OK