Re: Bloom Sequence Project Update

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

 Hello Talk-ers,

 The Bloom Sequence Project that has emerged from discussion on this list
 over the past week is moving ahead! As of this morning I am aware of the
 following people who have expressed an interest in participating in this
 project:
 Ellen Gallagher        Zone 3          Karen Jellum       Zone 3
 Carol Fisher            Zone 4          Carryl Meyer        Zone 4
 Maureen Mark         Zone 4          Cindy Rust          Zone 5
 Jeff Walters             Zone 5          Dorothy Willott    Zones 5&6 (2
 sites)
 Gary White             Zone 5          Judy Eckhoff        Zone 6
 Kathy Guest           Zone 6          Ann & Ernie Henson  Zone 6
 Pat in Dallas           Zone 8          Cliff Snyder          Zone 8
 Mike Sutton            Zone 9

 As can be seen, there are immediate openings available in Zones 2, 7, and
 10! Actually, there are openings available in all Zones, as everyone is
 welcome to participate - this includes any Talk-ers from outside North
 America who would like to join in!

 In order to get the ball rolling we need to come up with our initial list
 of indicator cultivars. The ideal indicator cultivar is one that reliably
 opens its first flower exactly in the middle of the bloom season for the
 class of iris to which it belongs. Cliff Snyder and Dorothy Willott have
 offered to check their records and suggest indicator cultivars in addition
 to the ones I have been able to identify from my own records. We need to
 have more input on indicator cultivars for the beardless classes (SIB,
SPU,
 JI, LA). Anyone who has input to offer on cultivars from these classes (or
 any of the others), please email me at the addreess below.
 Ellen Gallagher suggested that we be sure to include some of the historic
 diploid cultivars in the bearded classes - any suggestions of names will
be
 gratefully received. In my posting to the list suggesting an outline for
this project, I
 excluded SPEC irises as a class because of their diversity. That does not
 mean we couldn't include individual species for their own sake, rather
than
 as indicators of anything else. Let me know how you feel. Another aspect
 that may be worth consideration and discussion is how we can incorporate
 observations on rebloom into this project.

 We need to designate a working list of cultivars to be observed as soon as
 possible, as the bloom season is already well advanced in the warmer Zones
 and fast approaching in the rest. We should heed Anner Whitehead's wise
 counsel, and regard this first year of the project as a preliminary study
 that will provide useful information, but will be more valuable in helping
 to refine the procedures and material we will use to make our observations
 more accurate and consistent in future years.

 Anner wrote:
 > I'm inclined to think that rather than attempting to identify a priori
 > individual cultivars which would serve in this capacity, it might be
 valuable
 > to assemble information on many named cultivars--whatever people
 > reported--break it down into size categories and then subcategorize them
 by
 > registered bloom time. From this information, assembled over two or
three

 > years, the names of indicator irises might declare themselves.

 So, whatever indicator cultivars we come up with for this year's bloom
 season, all of us should also be keeping our eyes out for even better ones
 to use in the future!

 Happy Irising!

 jcwalters@bridgernet.com
Bloom Sequence Project Coordinator

Show mom you love her.  Check out our great Mother's Day Gifts!
14K Gold and gemstone jewelry, leather and cloth wallets and purses,
gardening, gourmet, kitchen, more! Free Shipping in the US!
          http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe5