Re: CULT: Bloom Sequence Project

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Gmbeasle@aol.com
> Maybe one way to pick bellwethers is to record which are the earliest and

> latest cultivar of each type to bloom this year - i.e. earliest TB to
> and latest TB (that isn't a rebloomer).
> RosalieAnn - Rosalie Figge's daughter

Rosalie Ann,

I believe that the best single indicator of bloom sequence will be to
identify the mid-point of the bloom season for each class of irises (this
could also be useful information for anyone who plans to travel to a
different region during bloom season and would like to have an idea of what
would be at peak bloom when they go). However, your point is well taken
that it would also be interesting to know the range and length of the bloom
season for each class of iris in each location. This might be a less
controlled and consistent observation than the one using indicator
cultivars for at least three reasons; 1) different cultivars will be
involved in different gardens, 2) in locations subject to late spring
frosts there are years in which what would be the earliest bloomers get
frozen out, and 3) first and last bloomers may not be particularly accurate
indicators of the true bloom season for their class because they can bloom
days (and in my experience even a week or more) before or after anything
else in the same class. That much said, it is a relatively easy observation
to make and does provide some sense of the extent of the bloom season for
each class of iris.

Additional comments and opinions on this point will be welcomed!

Bloom Sequence Project Coordinator

Has ONElist changed your life?
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!