Re: REB: Immortality

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>
>Lloyd, just for your information.  We have been having trouble with
>Immortality for two years now; die back, no bloom and overall unhealthy
>looking.  Linda moved Immortality last fall, partial shade under a
>walnut tree.  We now have a lot of new growth on very healthy looking
>plants and many bloom stalks!  Figure this one out!
>Glenn & Linda Simmons
>Springfield, Southwest Missouri, USDA Zone 6
>         or
Dear Glenn and Linda Simmons; Thank you for the hint about IMMORTALITY. It
is just plain odd that an iris that grows so extremely well in many places
will notperfrom well in certain gardens. I of course sent some to the late
Raymond Smith, - and was he impressed? - not at all. After six years he
gave all of it to his wife Hazel's sister, also living in Indiana (at
Richmond). She got more bloom out of it that fall than he had had in 6
years!!  It is just possible that it does not enjoy excessive heat. From
limited experience I would say that it loves manure. Lloyd Z in Durham, NC
where the talls are almost at peak. One blue seedling with very blue beards
from MARY ESTELLE X SEA WORLD has about six stalks, any of which could give
a good run for Queen of Show. OO 19-1-2.

Share the wealth!
Tell a friend about ONElist's 130,000 free e-mail communities!