CULT: Bloom Sequence Project - Procedures(1)

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Bloom Sequence Project Participants:

The Bloom Sequence Project(BSP) is gathering steam - five more persons have
signed on as participants since I posted the list of names this morning -
and now it is time to roll up our sleeves and get down to work!

The first assignment I would like to see all BSPers undertake is to record
the dates that the first flower opens on the first and the last cultivar to
bloom (excluding rebloom) in each class of iris that you grow (and that
hasn't started to bloom yet this year, unless you are keeping these kinds
of records already). To eliminate the distortion in characterizing the
bloom season caused by outliers, ignore the dates for any cultivar that
blooms more than three days before the next earliest or more than three
days after the next latest in its class. Record the first cultivar to bloom
three days or less before the next one in its class and the last cultivar
to bloom no more than three days after the next to last in its class.
Record the names of these cultivars, as well as the date of bloom. These
data will allow us to define the length of the bloom season for each class
we are including in the study, as well as the sequence of  bloom at each
location. It will also help to validate our indicator cultivars. Besides
recording the names and dates, please also note how many cultivars in each
class bloom for you this year - the number does not have to be exact; it
will be sufficient to indicate one of the following ranges of numbers of
cultivars in a particular class that have bloomed this year: 2-10; 11-25;
26-40; 41-100; 101-500; 501+.

The classes of iris included in the project are as follows:
Dwarf Bulbous (Ii. danfordiae, reticulata, etc. and their cultivars)
MDB (Miniature Dwarf Berded)
SDB (Standard Dwarf Bearded)
IB (Intermediate Bearded)
MTB (Miniature Tall Bearded, aka "Table Iris")
BB (Border Bearded)
TB (Tall Bearded)
AB (Arilbred - all types)
SIB (Siberian - 28 chromosome types and their derivatives)
SPU (Spuria)
JI (Japanese Iris)
LA (Louisiana Iris)

As an example of the kind of data you are requested to record I have
reproduced the dates for the TB bloom season in my garden for the past five
years. The dates in parentheses indicate the kind of distortion that would
be introduced by ignoring the 3-day rule with respect to outliers
(exceptionally early or late bloomers).

Year               Ist bloom       last bloom*                 no. bloomed
1994    (5/7)       5/15              6/10
1995    (5/24)     5/29              6/22                           101-500
1996                 5/16              6/15
1997                 5/19              6/13          (6/19)
1998                 5/21              6/19          (6/24)
* last bloom=date last cultivar to bloom opened its first flower

Cultivar names
1994   first bloom: Cloudless Sunrise, Blue Staccato, Foxfire (all same
          last bloom: Raspberry Frills
1995   first bloom: Theater, Sun Dappled (both same day)
          last bloom: Far Galaxies
1996   first bloom: Immortality
          last bloom: Big Dipper
1997   first bloom: Foxfire
          last bloom: Shipshape
1998   first bloom: Blatant
          last bloom: Moonlight and Roses

Please accumulate this information through the end of your bloom season and
then email it to me OFFLIST at my personal email address
(jcwalters@bridgernet.com). I will summarize and collate the results and
post them where they will be accessible to everyone. I do not have a
personal website, but perhaps we can make arrangements with one of the
already existing iris-related websites to serve as our host.

The list of indicator cultivars is not yet ready. However; time, tide and
iris bloom wait for no man, woman or child, so even if what is available
seems less than ideal, I will post a list of indicator cultivars that we
can start working from within the next couple of days.

Enrollment in this project is open-ended. Anyone who wishes to join is
welcome to do so.

Happy Irising!

Jeff Walters
BSP Coordinator

Did you know that ONElist hosts some of the largest lists on the Internet?
Our scaleable system is the most reliable free e-mail service on the Internet!