Re: MED: MDB Bloom Season

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: "Sterling Okase" <sterling_o@hotmail.com>
>
>>From: Patsiris@aol.com
>>
>>.....unless the newer MDBs have changed from when I grew them, they
>>would only bloom here about one year in ten because of our not cold
>>enough winters.  I finally threw all of mine away
>>and got SDBs instead.
>>
>>Pat in Dallas
>
>Hi Pat,
>I have heard this of the MDBs. Personally, I grow quite a number of
>MDBs and have no trouble with them. Must be that I have just enough
>cold to suit them. How long has it been since you've tried to grow
>them? It seems to me that if you can grow SDBs, you should be able to
>grow the MDBs as well since a lot of them these days come from SDB
>breeding. Also, now they have two or three buds per stem. Ones that
>are exceptional in my book (that would be for vigor, health and looks)
>are PUPPET BABY, DAISY FRESH, MAYA MIST, TOOTH FAIRY, GRAPELET, JOLLY
>JOEY, HEY THERE, GARDEN GNOME, BLUE WIND, CINNAMON APPLES and
>SLEEPYTIME.
>
>The only thing I don't like about the MDBs is that with such a small
>plant, they sometimes get lost in the garden.
>
>Iris Maniac,
>Sterling (not Innerst)
>Seattle, WA. Zone 8
>AIS, KCIS, HIPS and MIS
>And Friday Night Chat-o-phile
>sterling_o@hotmail.com
Dear Sterling: The MDB's are very hard to grow here. They have a ;pt of
I.pumila in them, and this climate is too hot for them. I have three that
continue to hang on, but they are not happy and no bloom on them this year.
Lots of SDB's, but I think on the whole these grow better farther north.
Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC

Show mom you love her.  Check out our great Mother's Day Gifts!
14K Gold and gemstone jewelry, leather and cloth wallets and purses,
gardening, gourmet, kitchen, more! Free Shipping in the US!
          http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe5