Re: SPEC : Iris Foetidissima seeds

From: HIPSource@aol.com

I've been dong a little research on I. foetidissima seeds for the past few
seasons, and I think you may find that the source of seed may affect how they
will behave. If yours  came from a warm climate, you may not need any chill,
although I would expect them to germinate at cooler temperature ranges. I
have grown this iris from seed from a plant well established here in Zone 7,
and I obtained some seed from a plant in Zone 9 California and sowed it and
the behavior was different. The seeds from Zone 7 refused to geminate at room
temperature and did not germinate in the spring when sown outside and left
over the winter. They did germinate in the fall. The Zone 9 seeds did not
germinate inside at room temperature, but did germinate in the fall from seed
sown outside the preceeding spring. In any case, you will want to remove all
the fruit which surrounds the seed before sowing it.

Anner Whitehead

Looking for a new hobby?  Want to make a new friend?
Come join one of the 130,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!