Re: HIST:pumila atroviolacea

From: Karen Jellum <7kjellum@3rivers.net>

At 09:04 AM 4/26/99 EDT, you wrote:
>From: HIPSource@aol.com
>In a message dated 4/26/99 12:20:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>7kjellum@3rivers.net writes:
<<  Since p.atroviolacea is the only thing that survived in the cemeteries,
 should I just concentrate on planting more of it there to be historically
 correct? >>

>I do think it might be impacting the historical record to plant different
>older irises into the cemetary at this point, and purists might condemn it,
>but history isn't over yet and bringing rhizomes to the dead is something few
>can heartily object to, especially in derelect and near forgotten burial
>sites as you have described.

That is what I wanted to know, Anner Whitehead.  The "there" referred to the

For my yard I just want some companion iris that would be of the same
historical time--would actually prefer something that doesn't bloom at the
same.  I think what I'm going to try and do is raise the p. atroviolacea in
my yard and transplant up to the old cemeteries.  I realize the atroviolacea
had a longer history before it was planted in 1919 and that it was probably
brought from the midwest (Minnesota and Oklahoma) where many of the settlers
in the cemetery area came from.  I think most of the planting would have
been done from 1910--1924.  What are some historic iris from that time or
earlier since I don't think the lastest iris would have arrived here in
Montana.  These people were struggling to make a living and many didn't make
it, but for my yard I'm not trying to recreate the cemetery history.  What
would people in other areas have planted with p. atroviolacea in the early

Hope this is clearer.  I guess that's the problem in trying to keep posts as
short as possible.

Tired of empty chat rooms and out of date bulletin boards?
ONElist: Making the Internet Intimate