Re: HIST:pumila atroviolacea

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 4/26/99 3:20:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, BILLS@hsc.edu
writes:

<< What is 'pumila atroviolacea?'  Given the history it is surely not a true
 Iris pumila.  Is it instead a form of Iris lutescens ('I. chamaeiris')? >>

My best information is that it is a clone collected by Augustino Todero of
Italy in 1856. It is listed in the 1939 Checklist as PUMILA ATROVIOLACEA and
I have read somewhere that it is not known in the wild. I do not grow it
myself, but Rick Tasco says it phenotypically resembles pumila very closely.
According to Garden Irises, (Randolph,1959, Appendices D and  E) the
chromosome count for I. chamaeiris is 40, of Atroviolacea, 36. Counts
determined for I. pumila L. have been 30 and 32. Also, the hardiness issue
argues against it being a form of I. lutescens. Hopefully someone will offer
more potent insights.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

G-SHOCK SPORTS WATCH - Built Tough! Built Cool! G-SHOCK keeps you in
Sync!  Shock Resistant and Loaded with Features!  Electo-luminescent,
Satisfaction Guaranteed*No-Hassle Returns*Only $69 Free Freight in US
          http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe6