Re: AIS: Wister, Stairway to Heaven (was SHOW)

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: AIS: Wister, Stairway to Heaven (was SHOW)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:38:38 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Jeff Walters in [sic] Colorado (actually Utah?), after reading Walter
Moores' post from Mississippi, wrote:
> I have been growing STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN (Lauer, '93) since 1994, and it
> has
> been an outstanding performer in every way here. I am pleased to see
> evidence that it is doing well in your very different environment, too.
> STH
> is a candidate for the Wister Medal on this year's AIS Judges' ballot. I
> think it is worthy of very serious consideration.

What's more, it does magnificently (so far) in Linda Mann's oddball
garden in east Tennessee.  Bloomed well the last two miserable springs
and is threatening to take over the yard this year (I exaggerate).  Does
it thrive in New York & eastern Canada?  Juri or Ellen, how does it do
for you?

 I stopped by Julie Allen's place near Sparta Tennessee last week (on my
way back from catching this cold, I 'spect) and we were walking around
enjoying the early ones.  We saw this macho looking plant not in bloom
yet & walked over to see what was doing so well - our mutual reaction
was funny - we both sort of shrugged and turned away - oh shucks, it's
just STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN...

It even has flowers I like - does that make it too old-fashioned for the
Wister?

So much for picking parents that do well in a hybridizing program: EDITH
WOLFORD dies here and BREAKERS only blooms once every 10 yrs....

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
the only new thing open is VIOLET CLASSIC - I LIKE it.

Looking for the perfect gift for a friend?
http://www.ONElist.com
Tell them about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!