Re: HIST:pumila atroviolacea

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Anner wrote:

>.................. I do not grow it
>myself, but Rick Tasco says it phenotypically resembles pumila very closely.
>According to Garden Irises, (Randolph,1959, Appendices D and  E) the
>chromosome count for I. chamaeiris is 40, of Atroviolacea, 36. Counts
>determined for I. pumila L. have been 30 and 32. Also, the hardiness issue
>argues against it being a form of I. lutescens. Hopefully someone will offer
>more potent insights.

	No potent insights from this quarter, sorry.

	I do grow it and have for four years in Zone 3. It behaves like
	I. pumila in size, bloom habit and hardiness in cold climates so

	I guess I come down on Rick's side (except he is in CA not the
	White Mts.).

	In lieu of setting up a chromsosome counting lab in my garage
	(so jammed up with my gardening junk that my car has never seen
	the inside of same), I have no idea about the c. count of this
	little, early-blooming, reliable gem of an iris.

	Cheers,

	Ellen