Re: HIST:pumila atroviolacea

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Cindy Rust wrote:

>Bill, we grow Atroviolacea and it closely resembles a seedling (from SIGNA
>seed) of Suslik.  I believe Suslik is a pumila.  Atroviolacea is very tough
>and repeat blooms here usually.  But, this year we had only a few blooms on
>the clump, nothing like its usual cloud of bloom.

	Yes, Suslik is a pumila grown from SIGNA seeds collected in Russia.
	I have grown Suslik for 3 years and it always beats out Atroviolacea
	to be the first to bloom.

	Interestingly, Suslik is not classified as an MDB, John Burton
	chose to register it as a SPEC (I. pumila).

	When I wrote a few weeks back about the first MDB to bloom in the
	garden, I used Cradle Days since it is registered as an MDB. Both
	Suslik and Atroviolacea always bloom before Cradle Days.

	I also don't know what any seedlings of Suslik look like since I
	have never had a successful cross using Suslik. But I think Suslik
	has an entirely different look than Atroviolacea. The color is
	different (tho similar) and the beards look very different (not
	only in color). Suslik's standards are wider and taller than
	Atroviolacea among other things.

Ellen Gallagher    /     e_galla@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /   Zone  3
Berlin, NH    in   'The Great North Woods'
To subscribe to Siberian iris e-mail robin:

You can now easily share photos and documents with your fellow list members
Check out our homepage for details on how to use our new shared files feature!