Re: AIS: Wister, Stairway to Heaven (was SHOW)

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: AIS: Wister, Stairway to Heaven (was SHOW)
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 08:36:34 -0400

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>Jeff Walters in [sic] Colorado (actually Utah?), after reading Walter
>Moores' post from Mississippi, wrote:
>> I have been growing STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN (Lauer, '93) since 1994, and it
>> has
>> been an outstanding performer in every way here. I am pleased to see
>> evidence that it is doing well in your very different environment, too.
>> STH
>> is a candidate for the Wister Medal on this year's AIS Judges' ballot. I
>> think it is worthy of very serious consideration.
>What's more, it does magnificently (so far) in Linda Mann's oddball
>garden in east Tennessee.  Bloomed well the last two miserable springs
>and is threatening to take over the yard this year (I exaggerate).  Does
>it thrive in New York & eastern Canada?  Juri or Ellen, how does it do
>for you?
> I stopped by Julie Allen's place near Sparta Tennessee last week (on my
>way back from catching this cold, I 'spect) and we were walking around
>enjoying the early ones.  We saw this macho looking plant not in bloom
>yet & walked over to see what was doing so well - our mutual reaction
>was funny - we both sort of shrugged and turned away - oh shucks, it's
>It even has flowers I like - does that make it too old-fashioned for the
>So much for picking parents that do well in a hybridizing program: EDITH
>WOLFORD dies here and BREAKERS only blooms once every 10 yrs....
>Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
>the only new thing open is VIOLET CLASSIC - I LIKE it.

Of the new irises from last year, STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN is the only one that
will not bloom this spring, and I had to cut off one of its increases which
had developed botrytis....

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

Did you know that we add over 1,000 new e-mail communities every day?
Explore a new hobby, discover a new friend, laugh at a new joke!