SPEC: I. setosa--Germination and Bloom

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 4/27/99 12:23:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net writes:

<< As some of you may remember, last year I purchased some Iris setosa seeds
 from Wal-Mart, and managed to get 2 seedlings from that.  They are now
 about 12 months old, and each has formed a nice mini-clump.  I'm not sure
 if they will bloom this year because they seem quite small (<8" tall). >>

Dennis, depending upon what they sold you as I. setosa they may not get much
larger than that.  If you have the Canadaian form, now called I. hookeri it
should be about eight inches tall and bloom a bit taller and above the
foliage. Based on my experience you will get bloom in the third year. Others
may have had different experiences, but none of my setosas have bloomed the
second year.

Anner Whitehead

Have you visited the new ONElist home page lately?
ONElist: The Leading e-mail list and community service on the Internet!