CULT: Bloom Sequence Project - Provisional Indicators List

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Iris Talk-ers and BSPers,

Here is the Provisional List of Indicator Cultivars in each of the classes
of iris to be included in the Bloom Sequence Project that I promised to
publish today. These candidate indicators have been nominated by several of
the people involved in this project. At this stage the list is being posted
for everyone's review and comment. After allowing a reasonable (but not
extended) period for this process, an initial "official" list will be
posted that we can start recording observations on. As a reminder of what
we are aiming at here, our initial list of indicator cultivars is intended
to represent irises that are reliable indicators of mid-season bloom in
their class and that are widely grown, being neither too old (except for
Historic indicators) nor too recent introductions.

Herewith the List:

Dwarf Bulbous: I. danfordiae, I. reticulata, Clairette

MDB: Alpine Lake, Bugsy, Cinnamon Apples, Lemon Puff, Little Blacksmith

SDB: Gemstar, Little Showoff, Low Life, Orange Tiger, Vavoom

IB: Butter Pecan, Dark Waters, Honey Glazed, Lemon Pop, Smitten Kitten

MTB: Bumblebee Deelite, Honorabile (H)*, Robin Goodfellow, Rosemary's
Dream, Welch's Reward

BB: Colorado Ambrosia, Low Spirits, Orinoco Flow, Queen of May (H)*

TB: Before The Storm, Honky Tonk Blues, In Town, Lemon Mist, Ma Mie (H)*,
Quaker Lady (H)*, Silverado

AB: Bold Sentry, Omar The Tentmaker, Seraph's Jewel

SIB: Butter & Sugar, Caesar's Brother (H)*, Lady Vanessa, Pink Haze, Sky
Wings, Swirling Lavender

SPU: Candlelace, Marilyn Holloway

JI: Little Snowman, Pink Dace, White Parachute

LA: Professor Neil, Jim, Eastertide

* (H)=chosen as a representative Historic indicator

I think it would be a good idea to have about five cultivars per class to
begin with since our data collection will probably suggest that some of the
initial candidates should be deleted before next year.

I suggest that if you have additional nominations to make for cultivars to
be added to the list of indicators, you email them to me OFFLIST. If you
wish to question or challenge any of the cultivars on this list, post your
message ONLIST so the persons who originally nominated them can have the
opportunity of rebuttal.

My hope is that we will have a working list of indicators before this

Happy Irising!

Jeff Walters
BSP Coordinator

Did you know that we add over 1,000 new e-mail communities every day?
Explore a new hobby, discover a new friend, laugh at a new joke!